What is Lychee? Five things you may not know about this tropical treat.
Lychee fruit (pronounced “lie-chee”)—which looks like a raspberry and has the texture and taste of a sweet grape, with a side of pear and watermelon—is as confusing as it is exotic.
But once you peel away the tough red husk, ignore the pit and get to the juicy white flesh, you’ll see what all the fuss is about and why this uniquely cool, tropical fruit inspired our new flavor—Lychee Ice.
From ancient Asian roots and “superfood” status, to dessert and cocktail recipes, here are five thing you may not know about lychee fruit:
- Native to China, Taiwan and South-east Asia—where unofficial records date back to 2000 BC—lychee is known as the ‘Queen of Fruits’ due to its long history of health benefits, including boosting immunity, regulating blood pressure, and aiding weight loss.
- Lychee trees reach 40 to 50 feet high, producing up to 3,000 bee-friendly flowers and surviving around 1,000 years in the wild.
- In the late 1800s, lychee growing spread to Hawaii, then Florida, California, and most recently, Australia, where it now has the longest fruit season in the world.
- With global sales growth, Lychee has been labeled a “superfood,” offering 40% more vitamin C than an orange.
- Lychee fruit and flavors can ‘zhuzh’ up an ice cream dessert, a ceviche appetizer, a fruit or spinach salad, and even a martini.
Launching Lychee Ice
Given how wildly popular lychee fruit is in Japan, we launched Lychee Ice there first—recreating the unique lychee flavor profile, then adding eucalyptus, peppermint and spearmint for the minty “ice” effect. When sales and social traction started to pick up, we knew it would not take long for our North American customers to hear about it. Sure enough, it was that buzz that fueled demand for our recent U.S. launch, which we timed with our new look and rebrand.
The response to Lychee Ice has been awesome, and customer reviews are coming in including, “Love the citrusy instant energy,” “Very cool minty blast,” and “There’s something about lychee and mint that makes this a great combo.”
As the first and only inhalable caffeine alternative out there, we’re excited about adding Lychee Ice as a flavor option to our original Guarana Berry, with more flavors to come. And as always—it’s about natural, plant-powered caffeine delivering an easy, portable, instant energy boost.